The new health craze seems to be "detoxing". There are a number of products on the market…all claiming to give you the best and most natural detox ~ some more expensive and some less expensive. If you really want to baby your liver, flush out your GI track, or just plain flush out the toxins…these foods can detox your body in a natural way which is not only healthier but can be least expensive that most detox products on the market.
When starting the following detox regimen, do the following 3 steps:
- "Eat clean," avoiding processed foods and chemical additives.
- Stay well hydrated by drinking lots of filtered water.
- Include some of these foods in several meals throughout the week.
Let’s look at a few effective detox foods:
- Leafy Green Vegetables: I know we are used to cooking our vegetables until they are almost melted away, but eating them raw, throwing them in a juicer, steaming them or adding them to an omelet can help protect your liver. The chlorophyll in green leafy vegetable, such as spinach, helps absorb environmental toxins out of your system.
- Lemons: drinking filtered water with fresh cut lemons will not only keep you hydrated but the vitamin C helps your body convert toxins into a water soluble form. That’s easily flushed away through your waste system.
- Garlic: Add it to EVERYTHING… salads, sauces, cooked vegetables, etc. Garlic activates liver enzymes and a liver will filter waste from our system much more effective when it is healthy. Research shows that garlic also diminishes a process that would normally cause cancer.
- Sesame seeds. They’re credited with protecting liver cells from the damaging effects of alcohol and other chemicals.
- Fruits, fruits, fruits. They’re full of almost all the good things listed above -- vitamin C, fiber, nutritious fluids, and assorted antioxidants. Besides, nothing tastes better than a ripe mango, perfect pear, or fresh berries.
These are just a few of many foods that can be used to help detox (remove toxins from) your body. Living in a day and time when chemical plants, vehicle exhaust, and second hand smoke are an integral part of our everyday lives, it is very important to remove toxins on a regular basis. Below is a detox recipe that you can try at home.
Ultimate Detox Recipe: Easy Wilted Garlic-Sesame Salad
Toss dark green leafy vegetables in hot, garlicky oil for a cleansing -- and delicious -- dish.
4 servings, about 65 calories each
1 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb. spinach, stemmed,
or 1 lb. Swiss chard, stems sliced, leaves torn
or 1 lb. mixture of spinach and watercress
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 tsp. sesame seeds for garnish
Warm oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and stir until lightly browned, about 45 seconds. Add greens (do in two batches if necessary) and toss until just wilted, 2 to 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.