I’ll bet this time last year, 2013, you were overly eager and determined to begin the New Year and the new you with a healthy lifestyle. You were so enthused and had so much confidence in your determination that you watched your food intake diligently, exercised like a maniac and most importantly avoided the mere temptation of unhealthy foods and lifestyle that stood staring right at the tip of your nose. You were confident that you were going to reach your goals once and for all!
Then the unforeseen tragedy struck! You ate one little tiny piece of birthday cake at your girlfriend’s birthday party…after all, it was a "special occasion." To your total shock and surprise, you realized that you had "blown" your diet; Let me guess, you said, "what the heck. I’ve blown my diet anyway." So it was okay to eat another and another and couldn’t get it together the next day either. As the old saying goes, "one good turn deserves another" so your body tells you that it won’t hurt to miss one workout, which, of course, turned into a whole week away from the gym. After that, your momentum to start over again was completely gone, poof, good bye; and your gym bag hasn’t left the corner collecting cobwebs since that great week.
Just as with any other missteps in this journey that we call life, you have two choices: to keep walking backwards, which will surely take you even further away from your goals; or to accept your lack of perfection as normal and forgivable, and take not one, but two positive steps down the path that brings you closer to the original goal that you set.
During the latter part of 2013, you may have found yourself walking backwards; but instead of sinking further into that hole…STOP…in your tracks, not tomorrow, next week, or even next month. Start your overhaul TODAY! Start by taking baby steps. Please don’t think that you are going to go from being a couch potato to running a marathon in one day, or even one week; but you can, however, take one step at a time toward succeeding at your own personal "marathon." Here are a handful of baby steps that you can take to help get you back on track.
- Try short workouts. Even five minutes is better than no minutes at all.
- Try a new recipe with a new healthy ingredient that you’ve never tried before.
- Eat a healthy breakfast. Remember that fast break will determine the fuel for the rest of the day.
- Aim for 8 cups of water each day. Even if you don’t reach that goal, you should still feel the difference than when you had 1 cup for the day.
- Type motivational phrases and tape them all over your mirror
- Track your food that you eat each day. That just may be the deterrent that you need to keep you from going back for that second helping.
C’mon, ladies, let’s not put our health on the back burner another day. Why put off ‘til tomorrow what you can do today?