THE BIG 5 0! Yes, that’s what I will embrace this year and I’ve decided to give myself a birthday gift. I WANT A 6 PACK! Yes, 6 pregnancies and 6 pack abs. Is it possible? Well, only if you ladies help to push me. I challenge each of you to embrace a fitness goal that you do not feel is attainable and Go 4 It! Will a 6 pack for me be a challenge? ABSLUTELY, no doubt about it; but like I’ve always told my kids, “shoot for the moon and if you don’t make it, at least you are among the stars”. I figure I can at least get good health and an improved fitness lifestyle our of the deal. So, c’mon ladies, who’s on board?
The fact that a woman can lose tummy fat much easier than a man because of the way her body is designed, simply amazes me; but isn’t it so unfair that we stop losing at a certain point while the men folk can continue until his ab structure is revealed? So, as with everything else, we as women have to push harder and make ourselves go above and beyond our natural stopping point. You may be surprised to know that most of us already have a six-pack but it’s hidden under that stubborn belly fat.So, the first step toward getting our toned abs revealed is to begin burning the tummy fat.
Here are some steps you can take to get on track for getting your Six Pack:
- Cut out all sweets. Remember that 3 layer cake that you baked last week, throw it away. Add more lean protein to your diet. That will give you the proper nutrition for building muscle.
- Drink more water. Drinking at least eight 8-oz glasses of water daily will aid in muscle growth
- Change your food vocabulary from words like “ processed foods” to words like “whole wheat”, “high-fiber”, “fresh”, and “baked”. When you are doing your grocery shopping, these are words that you should look for when reading your labels.
- Do at least 30 minutes of cardio three days a week. Running, aerobics or dance are all good options for burning stomach fat. Do some sort of muscle toning exercises at least two days a week. Be sure to tighten your tummy muscles (abs) during and exercise and even when you are going about your daily routines throughout the day.
- The plank is a great exercise that strengthens abs. Start by lying on your stomach and lift your chest by placing your elbows and forearms on the ground. Lift your legs by balancing on your toes. Tighten your stomach muscles while keeping your back flat. (not butt in the air) Hold for 20 to 60 seconds, lower and repeat. Do three to five reps daily.
- The bicycle is another great exercise for strengthening the abs. Lie on your back. Bend your knees and hips to a 90-degree angle. Put your hands behind your head and curl your chest forward. Straighten your right leg and bring your left leg toward the chest. While doing this, move your right shoulder to your left knee. Repeat with the opposite shoulder and leg, so that it looks as if your legs are pedaling. Do 12 to 16 reps.
Ladies, always remember to tighten your tush and your tummy when doing ab exercises. The goal is to build a six-pack that indents in and not a six-pack that looks like a mountain. Together, we can do this. Feel free to email me your fitness goal for 2014. Let’s get started! Please contact me through my website www.assuringhands.massagetherapy.com