HOPE IN GOD
I Peter 3:8-(14,15,16)
Bible Fact: God is willing to keep those whose minds are stayed on Him in faith.
The Big Idea: Hope in God is always filled with strong confidence that God can handle any situation.
Hope in God engages God to do what creation in any form cannot do.
I. HOW DOES ONE OBTAIN BELIEVING STRONG CONFIDENCE IN GOD? THERE ARE THREE BASIC ELEMENTS THAT WORK TOGETHER TO CONTRIBUTE TO A BELIEVER’S STRONG CONFIDENCE IN GOD:
A. First, a God-directed will – plus a strong hope – into a passionate desire
II. Where to put your hope to get the maximum reward and where time or this world cannot destroy it.
A. Put your hope in the eternal grace of God;
B. Put your hope in the goodness of God…Things every serious believer should know about God’s goodness: God does good because He is good. The goodness of God is reflected in His Divine character which He exercises towards all of His created people according to their various circumstances and relations (Psalm 145:8,9; Matthew 5:45). God’s goodness appears superior in two things, giving and forgiving. God is constantly giving out His love, mercy and grace to those who do not deserve it (Matthew 5:45). God is so full of His own goodness that He prompts His own heart to give and forgive more to the ones that need it the most. Putting hope in the goodness of God is to tap the unending and infinite supply of God’s benevolence.
- God’s goodness is permanent and fixed in Him and will not change.
- God’s goodness is perpetual and endures to all generations.
- God’s goodness is perfected by His grace and mercy given in times of weakness; II Corinthians 12:7-10
- God’s goodness is providential always arranging and securing future blessings for His people; Psalm 23:1; Exodus 23:20
- God’s goodness is persistent always acting in the best interest of His people to bless them; Deuteronomy 28:2; II Chronicle 16:9; Psalm 23:6;
- God’s goodness is powerful enough to outlive evil and overcome wicked obstructions to His righteousness will; Genesis 50:19; Romans 8:28
- God’s goodness is punctual but shows up in patience as He tends to the petitions of the righteous; Isaiah 40:27-31